Trails Guide Course – Okavango Delta Botswana
2 weeks = $3,300 (USD)
4 weeks = $6,600 (USD)
Trails Guide Course (Walking & Weapons)
Book 2 weeks or 4 weeks (save money booking 4 weeks)
(4 weeks required for the FGASA Trails Guide accreditation)
- 5-Apr-19 to 19-Apr-19
- 19-Apr-19 to 3-May-19
4 weeks = 5th April 2019 to 3rd May 2019
- 14-Jun-19 to 28-Jun-19
- 28-Jun-19 to 12-Jul-19
4 weeks = 14th June 2019 to 12th July 2019
- 23-Aug-19 to 6-Sep-19
- 6-Sep-19 to 20-Sep-19
4 weeks = 23rd August 2019 to 20th September 2019
- 1-Nov-19 to 15-Nov-19
- 15-Nov-19 to 29-Nov-19
4 weeks = 1st November 2019 to 29th November 2019
Kwapa Training Camp is set in the wildlife-rich Okavango Delta area of Botswana
About the Okavango Trails Guide Courses
This FGASA accredited Trails Guide Training courses takes place in Kwapa Camp in the Okavango Delta area of Botswana – arguably one of the most incredible places in Africa to fine tune your walking skills as a guide or to experience the wilderness as a tourist wishing to see the African Savannah from a different perspective.
The course is open to:
- People looking to get their official FGASA and or BQA Trails Guide qualifications
- AND also to anyone who wants the opportunity of walking in a wilderness area, improving personal skills and experiencing Africa on foot unlike most people will be able to on a ‘normal’ type of safari.
For those serious about getting the FGASA qualification, it is only possible to obtain an accreditation if you have already completed and passed the FGASA Level 1 safari guide training.
This course offers a student an opportunity to experience Africa as few people
The course requires complete commitment from the participants.
Activities on the Trails Guide Course
- game walks including approaching big game on foot
- game driving skills
- mokoro (dug-out canoe), poling skills – depending on water levels
- motor boating – depending on water levels
- theory lectures and power point presentations on potentially dangerous animals (PDA)
- tracking, survival techniques and navigation
- basic weapons handling
- practical shooting with a large caliber rifle
- air rifle accuracy training
- muscle memory for shooting co-ordination
- speed shooting drills
- speed shooting assessment
- wilderness sleep outs
Qualifications you could obtain if you pass:
- BQA Lead or Back-Up Trails Guide: This is the Botswana Training Authority exam which is the national Trails
Guide or Back-Up Trails Guide qualification for Botswana.
- FGASA Lead or Back-Up Trails Guide: This is the Field Guide Association of Southern Africa exam and is the
national Trails Guide or Back-Up Trails used in South Africa
- Advance Rifle Handling (ARH) will be conducted on the borders of NG30 concession (Kwapa) as part of the Trail Guide Course.
Accommodation & Camp
Kwapa Camp is situated in the Okavango Delta of Botswana which lies in the sub-tropical latitudes of southern Africa. The camp lies beneath a grove of Mangosteen trees on the banks of the crystal clear Kwapa River in the southern Okavango. The Kwapa region is an unfenced wilderness area and is inhabited with all the diverse wildlife of the world famous Okavango Delta -lion, leopard, hippo, elephant and buffalo are resident. Wild dog, cheetah and much of the other species are present sporadically. The near-endemic lechwe antelope along with numerous other antelope make up the most prominent species. There is also a range of fascinating nocturnal animals such as aardvark, bushbaby, small-spotted genet, springhare, striped weasel, African wildcat and much more.
Kwapa Camp is a safari guide training camp. The facilities are basic and designed for those seeking a deeper knowledge of the wilderness and not luxury. That said, we do make you as comfortable as we can in our training camp.
The camp consists of a kitchen area where your meals are prepared, a dining area where you take your meals, a lecture room, a sitting area around the campfire and the tents and ablutions.
The tents are 2.4m x 2.4m dome tents and furnished with a camp bed, bedding a LED bedside light on a small bed-side table. There is a stand-basin outside the front of your tent with fresh water. Toilet and showers are communal and situated a short distance from the tents. The option exists to upgrade to a larger, more spacious tent with an en-suite toilet and shower (surcharge applies).
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover:
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover:
In compliance with The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018, an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure, and paid in respect of:
• non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
• the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination offered on this website
• non-ATOL flight inclusive packages sold to customers outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
• a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
• making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
• repatriation of customers as may be applicable, subject to the terms of the insurance policy.
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 01702 811397. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)