Safari Guide Experience | 28 days
2019: R59,750 | Approx £3,300
- 06 June – 03 July 2019 | Karongwe camp – South Africa (4 spaces left only)
- 02 September – 29 September 2019 | Mashatu – Botswana (plenty of spaces)
- Accommodation (sharing)
- Tea/coffee and cordials
- Instruction and training
- Game walks
- Open vehicle game drives
- Sleep outs/ additional activities
- 1 night at a guesthouse in Jo’burg (the night before)
- 1 transfer to camp (the outgoing transfer)
- Return transfers from the camp
- Other transfers before and after the course
- Any accommodation other than the guesthouse at the start before/after the course
- Select beverages
- Kruger National Park entrance fee (only applicable if the course is at Makuleke Camp)
- Border crossing fee (only applicable if the course is at Mashatu Camp)
- All flights to and from South Africa including internal flights (Click here for flight quotes)
About the signature Safari Field Guide Training
When the Field Guide Courses first started some 20 years ago – the safari field guide course was always 28 days in duration. This too used to be the duration of the course that you would take to become a qualified safari guide (until FGASA changed the rules to a minimum of 55 days).
The 28 day course also became popular with people not necessarily looking for the qualification BUT looking for a different kind of African experience (a different kind of safari), and an adventure that would teach those interested more about the wildlife and ecosystems of the African Savannah.
As a result this course has remained to be one of the most popular options as it is the signature field guide training course. It also still retains the same syllabus and quality of training as it used to, despite not being accredited. It is also an excellent ‘taster’ course for people thinking about committing to the longer FGASA-accredited 55 day or 1 year safari guide training courses.
The duration is now 21 or 28 days. You will spend you time living and learning from a nature wilderness camp open to the free-roaming wildlife of the African bush, getting in-tune with nature and having an experience that few will get to match. Camps are in South Africa (Selati, Karongwe & Makuleke) or at the Botswana camp in Mashatu.
The course will provide you with practical and theoretical knowledge of the natural environment.
- Climate and Weather
- Cultural and Medicinal uses of Plants
- Animal Tracks and Tracking
- Animal Behavior
- Bird Identification and Behavior
- Navigation Skills and Situational Awareness
- Off-road and Sensitive 4×4 Driving Skills
- Creating Photographic Opportunities
- Correct Binocular Use