55 Day FGASA course – S. Africa / Botswana
R76, 900 (Rand)
We have been booking people from all over the world on Safari Guide Training Courses since 2008. For many this has changed their lives for the good; whether for a career/life-style change or just the experience of a life time. We offer an honest, friendly and personal service with fair prices. Life is short! So why not give us a try…
- FGASA fees
- 1 night’s stay in Jo’burg on arrival
- Course transfers to and from camp
- Selati Game Reserve – South Africa
- Karongwe Game Reserve – South Africa
- Northern Kruger National Park (Makuleke) – South Africa
- Mashatu Game Reserve – Tuli Block in Botswana
Start dates 2017
- 09 January – 04 March (Selati & Karongwe)
- 08 February – 03 April (Selati & Karongwe)
- 09 April – 02 June (Karongwe & Selati)
- 02 June –26 July (Karongwe & Selati)
- 04 July – 27 August (Karongwe & Selati)
- 07 August – 30 September (Mashatu & Karongwe)
- 09 September – 02 November (Selati & Karongwe)
- 07 October – 30 November (Mashatu & Karongwe)
About the 55 day FGASA level 1 Safari Guide Training Courses
Experience the African Bush and its wildlife and landscapes from a different perspective whilst training to be a Safari Field Guide for 2 months! You will be training in the heart of wild Savannah – the perfect learning environment.
Take the FGASA exams or simply enjoy your 2 months in the African bush experiencing and learning about its beauty and abundant wildlife – this is a great bush adventure.
Accommodation facilities and game reserves are truly authentic, with as little clutter to dilute the relationship between nature and learners as possible.
While learners are at the camps, we want them to co-exist in the environment, when sleeping we want them to hear elephants browsing on leaves and night-jars call right outside the tents at night. It is all about the bush.
The course is structured to maximize the practical experience of our learners in the bush. Each day allows for hours of time spent in the field interpreting the ecology and enjoying a wildlife experience. Activities alternate between walks and driving. Lecture time follows after brunch, which involves topical instruction (lectures) and discussion on the subject of the day (see list below). This is followed by time for self study for the learners.
Learner participation in the care of the camp, equipment and vehicle will be expected. Learners will be expected to pay attention to the needs of fellow learners and to work in teams at times.
The FGASA level 1 course is structured to maximize the practical experience of the students in the bush. Each day allows for hours of time spent in the field interpreting the ecology and enjoying a wildlife experience. Activities alternate between walks and driving.
The following list of subjects is covered during this course:
- Welcome and introduction
- Introduction to guiding in nature
- Creating a guided nature experience
- Geology and soils
- Weather and climate
- Introduction to the biomes of southern Africa
- Botany and grasses
- Vegetation identification
Additional activities & Learning:
- 4WD for Game Viewing
- Sleep out in the bush
- Fire Arm theory and practical shooting
- Arthropods (Insects and relatives)
- Animal behaviour
- Tracks and tracking
- Radio procedures
- Conservation management and historical human habitation
- Habitat management
- Bush camps
“Just want to thank you for all your help and advise for booking the FGASA level 1 – 55 days course.
I had an amazing time both at Selati and Makuleke camp.
The knowledge of all the instructors about the bush was enormous and I never thought that I could learn so much in just 55 days. We had a drive and a walk every day, discussing everything the bush has to offer. I have seen the big 5 multiple times, which made it very special! The standard of the accommodation and organization was great and the remoteness of especially the Makuleke camp was unique.
Thank you again, I had the most amazing time. Can’t wait to go back to the bush!
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover:
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of
• non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
• the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination
offered in this brochure/literature/document/on this website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
• a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
• making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)