55 Day FGASA level 1 – Victoria Falls
2016: $5,200 USD
2017: $5,590 USD
19 September – 12 November 2016
If participants successfully complete their theoretical and practical assessments, then they will have the opportunity to be qualified with a FGASA Level 1 certificate. FGASA is short for The Field Guides Association of Southern Africa. Assessments will be conducted by FGASA accredited trainers / assessors) on camp during the course.
About the 55 day Victoria Falls Safari Guide Training Course
Emerge yourself in the beauty of the African wilderness for 55 days whilst training to be a safari field guide!
This FGASA accredited field guide course – like the others we offer – is not only open to those interested in a career in Field Guiding or within the wider safari and wildlife industry, but also to anyone interested in having a different unique experience (or alternative safari) and learning about the African ecosystem in-depth.
You will be submerged in nature and constantly exposed to the African bush for the duration of your stay. Through a mixture of daily lectures on the training camp to daily drives and walks in the bush you will be covering a wide variety of subjects in the form of daily lectures and practical activities out in the wilderness – with daily morning and evening activities alternating between game walks and game drives. Midday lectures involve topical instruction and discussion, on the subject or game encounter of the day. This is followed by personal study time and relaxation.
Some subjects covered on course:
- Planning of Game Drives and Walks
- Navigation and Orientation
- Radio Procedures
- Geology and Soil
- Weather and Climate
- Anticipating Animal Behavior
- Plant Communities
- Career Opportunities
- Plant Identification and Uses
- Identification and Ecology of Invertebrates
- Early morning wake-up: tea, coffee, biscuits, fresh fruit and cereals
- Brunch after activity: cooked breakfast and fruit salad
- Afternoon tea: light lunch/ sandwiches
- Dinner: balanced, warm plated meal with meat, vegetables and salad
- 20 single rooms (9 allocated to nature guiding students)
- Shared ablutions
- Bedding is supplied (single beds with sheets, a duvet, two pillows and a spare blanket for the colder months).
- Each room has a ceiling fan
- There are no mosquito nets.
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover:
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of
• non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
• the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination
offered in this brochure/literature/document/on this website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
• a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
• making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)