28 Day Safari guide course (not FGASA accredited)
2018: R48, 985 South African Rand
- 05 June – 02 July 2018 (Karongwe) 7 Spaces
- 02 September – 29 September 2018 (Mashatu) 8 Spaces
- Mashatu – Tuli block area of Botswana
- Karongwe – west of Kruger Park, South Africa
- Makuleke – North Kruger Park, South Africa
- Accommodation (sharing)
- Tea/coffee and cordials
- Instruction and training
- Game walks
- Open vehicle game drives
- Sleep outs/ additional activities
- 1 night at a guesthouse in Jo’burg (the night before)
- 1 transfer to camp (the outgoing transfer)
- Return transfers from the camp
- Other transfers before and after the course
- Any accommodation other than the guesthouse at the start before/after the course
- Select beverages
- Kruger National Park entrance fee (only applicable if the course is at Makuleke Camp)
- Border crossing fee (only applicable if the course is at Mashatu Camp)
- All flights to and from South Africa including internal flights (Click here for flight quotes)
About the signature Safari Field Guide Training
When the Field Guide Courses first started some 20 years ago – the safari field guide course was always 28 days in duration. This too used to be the duration of the course that you would take to become a qualified safari guide (until FGASA changed the rules to a minimum of 55 days).
The 28 day course also became popular with people not necessarily looking for the qualification BUT looking for a different kind of African experience (a different kind of safari), and an adventure that would teach those interested more about the wildlife and ecosystems of the African Savannah.
As a result this course has remained to be one of the most popular options as it is the signature field guide training course. It also still retains the same syllabus and quality of training as it used to, despite not being accredited. It is also an excellent ‘taster’ course for people thinking about committing to the longer FGASA-accredited 55 day or 1 year safari guide training courses.
The duration is now 21 or 28 days. You will spend you time living and learning from a nature wilderness camp open to the free-roaming wildlife of the African bush, getting in-tune with nature and having an experience that few will get to match. Camps are in South Africa (Selati, Karongwe & Makuleke) or at the Botswana camp in Mashatu.
The course will provide you with practical and theoretical knowledge of the natural environment.
- Climate and Weather
- Cultural and Medicinal uses of Plants
- Animal Tracks and Tracking
- Animal Behavior
- Bird Identification and Behavior
- Navigation Skills and Situational Awareness
- Off-road and Sensitive 4×4 Driving Skills
- Creating Photographic Opportunities
- Correct Binocular Use
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover:
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of
• non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
• the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination
offered in this brochure/literature/document/on this website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
• a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
• making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)