1 Year Safari Guide Training Course
- FGASA fees
- 1 night’s stay in Jo’burg on arrival
- Course transfers to and from camp.
Start Dates 2017
- 04 January – 17 December 2017
- 03 February – 22 December 2017
- 02 August 2017 – 15 July 2018
- 04 September 2017 – 26 August 2018
- 02 October 2017 – 16 September 2018
1 Year Professional Safari Field Guide Course
Who can join?
- Anyone over 18 years of age
- Fit & healthy participants
- Those interested in a career as a field guide
- Those interested in joining for a unique experience of Africa’s wilderness
Afreco has been booking people on the The One Year Professional Safari Field Guide Training course since 2008 and as a direct result we have completely changed some people’s lives whether it was their overwhelming experience or a total change of career.
The course is open to anyone interested in a career as a safari guide or to those simply interested in having a unique experience (i.e. a gap year, a year off work, a retirement ambition or just in-between things). It is a serious educational course and has been designed specifically to supply the safari industry with high caliber professional safari field guides.
For one whole year you will be exposed to diverse ecological and geological terrains, landscapes, wildlife species and so much more at our wilderness camps in places like Makuleke, Karongwe, Selati (South Africa) and Mashatu (Botswana). A constantly stimulating environment to learn is aided by our instructors, all having many years of guide training experience and time in the bush, and each with their own unique way of training and guiding that will enhance your overall training experience.
It is an accredited safari guide training course training program. The accreditation is for the FGASA (Field Guide’s Association of Southern Africa) level 1 qualification…but is far more in-depth than the shorter level 1 courses (shorter courses are 28 day & 55 day options).
The One Year course also includes:
- FGASA Field Guide Level 1 (theory and practical)
- FGASA Trails Guide Back Up (theory and practical)
- Advanced Rifle Handling
- Animal Tracks and Tracking
- Basic Birding
- Advanced Birding
- Wilderness Medicine: Level 1 & 2
- Navigation and Orientation
- Lodge placement
Certification and Accreditation
This is a FGASA endorsed training provider and therefore it is accredited by THETA. This means the 1 year professional safari guide courses adhere to THETA standards. THETA is the Tourism and Hospitality and Sport Education Training Authority of the South African government. These are the two bodies responsible for regulating standards within the guide training industry in southern Africa. For this course, you will be assisted with your FGASA registration, THETA and eventually DEAT.
Lodge Experience: (Approx 5 months)
As part of your year training, the safari guide school will assist in placing you at a lodge in Southern Africa for a period of approximately 5 months. During your lodge placement you will be expected to carry out a wide variety of duties which may or may not include the following:
- General Guiding Duties (can logged towards FGASA level 2 practical assessment)
- Assisting in the bar, serving drinks, undertaking stock takes
- Assist with meeting guest/s at meeting point/airport, carrying their luggage
- Reception duties
- Food & Beverage duties
On the first day you are collected from Emerald Backpackers in Johannesburg and taken to Nelspruit where you spend the first two days.
Afreco will pay for your 1 night stay the day at the Emerald as part of your course cost. You will be required to stay there the night before the start date so make sure flights are booked to arrive the day before.
During this time your registrations, paperwork and uniform fittings are sorted out. From Nelspruit you are taken up to the bush camps where you will start your yearlong adventure training to be a safari guide!
The Course takes place between 4 different camps in South Africa and Botswana
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover:
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of
• non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
• the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination
offered in this brochure/literature/document/on this website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
• a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
• making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)